Director of Development
For over 40 years, Jubilee Housing has provided safe, affordable housing and supportive services to low-income citizens in the Adams-Morgan neighborhood of Washington D.C. Currently Jubilee Housing owns and manages almost 300 units of affordable rental units while providing a range of supportive services to its residents including after school youth services as well as adult employment and education services.
This position has lead, day-to-day responsibility for Jubilee’s development strategy and outreach. The person in this role cultivates and stewards individual and corporate donor relationships. He or she serves as an external face of Jubilee to corporate donors and select major individual donors, along with the VP of Institutional Advancement and the CEO. This position reports to the VP of Institutional Advancement.
Major Tasks and Responsibilities
- Work closely with VP of Institutional Advancement to develop a development plan and implement it. Ensure that plan meets financial goals, continually builds the pipeline of corporate and individual donors, and increases corporate and individual engagement.
- Works with VP of Institutional Advancement to create and manage annual calendar and timelines and to keep staff aware of upcoming deadlines, work with them to gather data for funder reports on existing grants.
- Works with VP of Institutional Advancement to develop relationships with external stakeholders, determine cultivation and stewardship actions and plans moves management.
- Support board in achieving its fundraising targets.
- Identify, cultivate, and steward high-potential corporate and individual donors whose funding priorities are consistent with Jubilee Housing’s mission.
- Develop and support stewardship and fundraising events designed to engage corporate and individual donors.
- Serves as relationship manager for a portfolio of major individual donors.
- Develop and implement a plan to communicate regularly for stewardship with corporate, foundation and individual donors and to maintain their ongoing engagement.
- Represent Jubilee to a variety of external constituents in the corporate and foundation community.
- Work closely with key program staff and IA team members to understand Jubilee’s programs and messaging and articulate those effectively to donors.
- Stay current on policy and programmatic trends in housing, education, and reentry as well as on trends in development.
- Draft letters, memos and e-mail communication for executive director and Board members when appropriate.
- Assist grant writer in arranging site visits for funder representatives and assist senior staff with pre-visit preparation. Oversee all funder site visits.
- Identifies and cultivates corporate and foundation targets whose funding priorities are consistent with Jubilee Housing’s mission.
- Manages the development team, ensuring their activities are consistent with the fundraising strategy and helps the organization achieve its fundraising goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
This individual must be able to work well under pressure and have demonstrated attention to detail. Ideal candidate will have great organizational skills and excellent customer service and communication skills. Must have desire to and experience in cultivating corporate and individual donors.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- More than three years of development experience, with demonstrated increases in responsibility, at a mid-sized nonprofit.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a reputation for diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Ability to interact successfully with people with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and skill sets—inside and outside of an organization.
- Comfortable cultivating and stewarding individual and corporate donors.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Disciplined, initiative-taker who works with a sense of urgency and is capable of juggling priorities.
- Strong computer skills, with experience in a cloud-based CRM platform a plus.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to take criticism and coaching constructively.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Flexible and adaptable; capable of working in a fast-paced, ever-changing non-profit environment.
- Comfortable working in a spiritually grounded workplace.
- Strong interest and appreciation for Jubilee Housing’s programs.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, vision, and dental insurance, STD, LTD, and Life insurances, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, transportation stipend and a matched contribution retirement plan.
Please email your resume, a writing sample and a cover letter with your compensation history and why you are an ideal candidate for this position, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in your cover letter how you learned of this position. Please include the job title in the subject line.