Activity Zone Program Coordinator
The mission of Jubilee Housing is building diverse, compassionate communities that create opportunities for everyone to thrive. Since 1973, Jubilee has worked to provide high quality affordable housing and holistic support to those experiencing persistent economic hardship in the Adams Morgan and Columbia Heights neighborhoods of Washington D.C. Jubilee operates ten properties totaling 299 units of affordable housing and offers robust programming for residents and community members pursuing life goals.
Jubilee Housing is an innovator in financing for affordable housing and a responsible steward of the investments it receives. Jubilee produces not simply affordable housing, but justice housing.
Justice housing is affordable to those with few financial assets, located in neighborhoods where resources such as good schools, grocery stores, and public transportation are readily accessible and near services that support residents as they pursue educational and career attainment.
Jubilee is seeking individuals who are excited about this concept and want to work with us to ensure Justice Housing becomes a reality for all Jubilee Residents who want to be a part of the Justice Housing Community.
The Activity Zone (AZ) Program Coordinator will be responsible for developing, implementing, and managing the day to day operations of the after school and summer program for Jubilee Housing youth in grades 4-6. The AZ Program Coordinator will report to the Director of Youth Services. This position is permanent, full-time employment. Work hours are Mon. – Thurs., 11:30 am -7:30 pm and 10-6:00 pm on Friday. Afterschool program hours during the school year are 3:30-7:00 pm Mon. –Thurs. and 3:30-6:00 pm on Friday. During our six-week summer camp program, the program hours are 9:00 am-3:00 pm.
Principle responsibilities include:
- Coordinate, oversee, and lead the development and implementation of Out of School Time and summer programming for youth in grades 4th through 6th
- Plan and implement afterschool and summer camp program schedule, program wide events and activities, schedule and manage logistics for field trips and other enrichment activities that support participants’ literacy, math, physical and social emotional development
- Build and nurture a safe, respectful, challenging and inclusive environment
- Assist with outreach and communications for participant recruitment and retention
- Monitor and analyze the effectiveness and results of the program frequently, while planning adjustments and problem solving as issues occur
- Ability to pre-plan weekly afterschool and summer camp program activities, lessons, and field trips
- Administer and collect student and parent surveys; work alongside program team to update and maintain the database input of all participants, program activities, incidents, and referrals
- Complete program reports and grant-related reports as requested
- Establish and maintain communication with members of the staff about student needs and aspects of the after school program.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of relationships with partner organizations
- Lead groups of youth in a safe, professional, and respectful manner.
- Develop positive relationships with parents.
- Provide training and support to volunteer tutors and mentors
- Support children’s emotional, academic, and social development, and maintain awareness of individual needs
- Implement, track, and support individualized goal plans for each participant
- Work with the Youth Services team to make necessary adjustments to the program, as indicated by assessments and participant feedback.
- Create and maintain individual files for youth and coordinate transition efforts for participants moving within programs at Jubilee Youth Services
- Support new program initiatives impacting Jubilee Housing, Platform of Hope, and additional partner organizations at the direction of the Director of Youth Services and the Vice President of Programs
- Participate in the development and implementation of other program areas within Youth Services, including family programming and volunteer recruitment, training and support.
- Supervise, train and support the professional development of the following team members: Program Associate, Program Assistant, and interns.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Youth Services.
- A commitment to supporting youth from low-income families/background
- BS/BA in child/youth development, education, social work or other related field
- A commitment to professional development within and outside of Jubilee Housing related to current trends and initiatives involving youth development
- Must undergo a comprehensive background check, including clearances for the National Sex Offender Registry and the District of Columbia Child Protection Registry, as well as FBI Background Checks.
- Must utilize developmentally appropriate classroom management skills and strategies for 4th-6th graders
- Must submit a sample developmentally appropriate weeklong afterschool lesson plan for 4th-6th graders
- At least five years of experience working with diverse inner-city youth preferably middle school aged children
- Prior experience in a supervisory role
- Demonstrable experience working as part of a team
- Willingness to work weekday late morning and evening hours for afterschool program (11am-7pm) and during summer camp that typically operates for 6 weeks during the month of July through mid-August from (8 am-4 pm)
The following attributes will be valuable to this role:
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Committed to learning and growing professionally in Youth Development
- Ability to act quickly, calmly, and thoughtfully in a crisis situation
- Sound judgment
- Spanish fluency a plus, but not required
- Knowledgeable about the daily realities facing low-income families/individuals
- Ability to drive a 15-passenger van
- Respect for all spiritual traditions
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Benefits include health, vision, and dental insurance, STD, LTD, and Life insurances, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, transportation stipend and a matched contribution retirement plan.
Please email your resume, cover letter and a 1 week (Monday-Friday, 3-7 pm) afterschool lesson plan for 4th-6th graders with your compensation history. Include in your cover letter how you learned of this position and why you would be an ideal candidate for this position. Please reference “Program Coordinator Youth Services Activity Zone” in the subject line. Submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.