Activity Zone Program Assistant (After-School & Summer Part-Time Position)
For over 40 years, Jubilee Housing has provided safe, affordable and supportive services to low-income citizens in the Adams-Morgan neighborhood of Washington, D.C. Currently Jubilee Housing owns manages almost 300 units of affordable rental units while providing a range of supportive services to its residents including after school youth services as well as adult employment and education services.
As a member of the Youth and Family Services team, the Activity Zone Program Assistant will work directly with elementary school students to support the implementation of quality out-of-school time and summer programming.
Task and Responsibilities
- Assist in the implementation of programming for youth in Activity Zone
- Tutor in different subject areas
- Facilitate enrichment activities in different areas (socio-emotional learning, art, cooking, gardening, service-learning, sports and more) in a safe, professional, and respectful manner
- Establish and maintain communication with members of the staff about student needs and aspects of the after- school program
- Develop positive relationships with youth, parents and families
- Provide support to volunteers, tutors and mentors
- Support children’s emotional, academic, and social development, and maintain awareness of individual needs
- Work with the Youth and Family Services team to help plan and run team events, complete administrative tasks, and plan and evaluate programming
- Other duties as assigned by the appropriate Program Coordinator and/or the Youth and Family Services Program Director
- Some course work and at least two years of practical experience in child/youth development
- Prior experience working with inner-city youth
- Team player
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Sound judgment
- English-Spanish bilingual preferred
- Availability to work afternoon and evening hours during the school year and during the day during the six week summer camp
- Ability to create and implement lesson plans
- Capacity to act quickly, calmly, and thoughtfully in a crisis situation
- Ability to drive a 15-passenger van
- Knowledgeable about the daily realities facing low-income families/individuals
- An active spiritual grounding
This is a part-time hourly position and is eligible for part-time benefits.
Please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.