Activity Zone Program Assistant (Part-Time Position)
The mission of Jubilee Housing is building diverse, compassionate communities that create opportunities for everyone to thrive. Since 1973, Jubilee has worked to provide high quality affordable housing and holistic support to those experiencing persistent economic hardship in the Adams Morgan and Columbia Heights neighborhoods of Washington D.C. Jubilee operates ten properties totaling 299 units of affordable housing and offers robust programming for residents and community members pursuing life goals.
Jubilee Housing is an innovator in financing for affordable housing and a responsible steward of the investments it receives. Jubilee produces not simply affordable housing, but justice housing.
Justice housing is affordable to those with few financial assets, located in neighborhoods where resources such as good schools, grocery stores, and public transportation are readily accessible and near services that support residents as they pursue educational and career attainment.
Jubilee is seeking individuals who are excited about this concept and want to work with us to ensure Justice Housing becomes a reality for all Jubilee Residents who want to be a part of the Justice Housing Community
JHI is hiring a part-time (.5 FTE) Program Assistant for an academic and enrichment program for youth, grades 4th – 6th, named Activity Zone (AZ). As a member of the Youth Services team, the AZ Program Assistant will work directly with elementary school students to support the implementation of quality out-of-school time and summer programming designed to enhance academic performance, healthy growth and development, and social skill building.
Principal responsibilities include:
- Assist in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of programming for youth in AZ
- Assist with tutoring in different grade appropriate subject areas
- Facilitate enrichment activities related to socio-emotional learning, math and literacy enrichment, art, cooking, gardening, service-learning, sports and more in a safe, professional, and respectful manner
- Proactively communicate with JHI Youth Services leadership and other team members about student needs and aspects of the after-school and summer camp program for evaluation and enhancement
- Develop positive relationships with youth, parents and families
- Provide support to volunteers, tutors and mentors
- Work with the Youth Services team to help plan and run team events, execute administrative tasks and complete reports
- Other duties as assigned by the AZ Program Coordinator and the Director of Youth Services
- At least 1 year of post-secondary course work in child/youth development, education, social work or other related field
- At least two years of direct program or service experience in child/youth development or program execution
- At least 1 year of experience working with diverse inner-city youth
- Team player
- English-Spanish bilingual preferred
- Availability to work afternoon and evening hours (2:00 pm-7:00 pm, Monday-Thursday and 1:00 pm-6:00 pm on Fridays) during the school year and during the day (8:30-3:30 pm) during the six-week summer camp. Assistant work schedules switch back to the regular afterschool or modified schedule after the 6 week summer program is done. There are occasional opportunities to earn overtime pay at time and a half due to staff meetings, events and activities that may occur outside of regular work hours
- Ability to create and implement lesson plans
- Knowledgeable about the daily realities facing low-income youth/families
The following attributes will be valuable to this role:
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Committed to learning and growing professionally in Youth Development
- Ability to act quickly, calmly, and thoughtfully in a crisis situation
- Sound judgment
- Spanish fluency a plus, but not required
- Ability to drive a 15-passenger van
- Respect for all spiritual traditions
Salary and Benefits:
This is a part-time (.5 FTE) hourly position ($16.83//hr.) and is eligible for part-time benefits.
Please email your resume, a thoughtful cover letter, and include why you would be an ideal candidate for this position, and how you learned of this position to email@example.com. Please reference the “Youth Services PT Program Assistant for After-School & Summer Program for youth, 4th-6th grades” in the subject line.